France has long been popular with ‘Brits’ as a holiday destination and due to its size (double the size of Britain) there is lots to explore making France the perfect holiday getaway this Autumn. With such a diverse range of countryside from the Alps, to the Loire Valley, to the chic South of France and to the sweeping beaches of the Atlantic Coast there is somewhere to suit everyone.
Here are our top five French destinations for this Autumn:-
- September and October are the months when the grapes are harvested in the winemaking regions of France and there are many harvest celebrations, wine fairs and markets. The third Thursday of November is Beaujolais Nouveau Day when the arrival of the week old Beaujolais is celebrated in many festivals across the region. A motorhome is perfect for touring these regions to join in the festivities.
- Visiting Paris could not be easier than with a motorhome, as there are campsites close to the city centre, (one is just a five minutes bus ride from the Arc de Triomphe) and all the other attractions this beautiful, romantic city has to offer.
- For those who like visiting spectacular gardens and fairy-tale Chateau, The Loire Valley is the perfect region to tour. Chenonceau, Blois and Chambord are some of the well-known one but there are many others just as picturesque.
- Normandy and Picardy are the places to tour if you are interested in the history of the First World War. There are the war cemeteries and graves around the Battle of the Somme in Picardy and major First World War memorials at Thiepval, Beaumont Hamel and Albert.
- If you love the sea and good food then the coastline of Brittany with its creeks, big rough headlands and pretty little fishing villages is a perfect place to head for in your motorhome.
One of the reasons why France is popular for touring in a motorhome is because it offers a vast network of Aires de Service, specific motorhome stopovers which are either free to use or have only a small charge (typically between €5 and €8 for 24 hours). Most provide essential facilities for emptying waste water and cassette toilets, filling up with fresh water and dumping rubbish. These Aires can be found in thousands of towns and cities across France, many with stunning locations and spectacular views on riversides, lakesides, in mountains or parks.
Amber Motorhomes have a fantastic range of 2, 4, and 6 berth vehicles that are fully insured and expertly serviced - prefect for anyone heading to France. Get in touch to find the perfect one for you and your needs.